Volunteer with Alchemy Film & Arts
We have volunteering opportunities all year round, including the chance to be part of delivering our Exhibition Programme and Film and Moving Image Festival! We’re also looking for Hawick residents to host filmmakers this year: read our Volunteer Policy here and register your interest here.
Volunteer at Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival (2 – 6 May 2019)
Become a Festival Volunteer! The Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival in Hawick, Scottish Borders, offers great opportunities to contribute to Hawick’s local community.
To register to volunteer at the 2019 festival, please complete the form here.
Come along to our Volunteer Meeting and Programme Launch on 3 April 2019 to meet the team and learn more:
Volunteer Meeting: 5.30pm
Festival Programme Launch: 6.30pm
Yeomans, 53 High Street, Hawick TD9 9BP
By volunteering, you become an active part in the operation of an internationally renowned film festival and the only event of its kind in the Scottish Borders. By taking part as a volunteer you receive:
• the opportunity to contribute to Hawick’s cultural community, meet new people and have fun
• one ticket to a screening of your choice for each volunteer shift
• discount on Alchemy t-shirts and bags
• an invitation to our post-festival volunteer appreciation event
Whatever your skills, they will be valued! Some of this year’s roles include:
• Venue Supervision/Invigilation: be the first point of contact for visitors to our installations, providing a warm welcome and information about the work in the programme.
• Hospitality/Guest Driver: these roles are all about giving our filmmakers and guests the warmest of welcomes to the festival. You could be picking up international filmmakers from Edinburgh Airport or Carlisle / Galashiels train stations.
• Welcome Desk in Festival Zone: the main source of information for visitors when they arrive at the festival, staffing the Welcome Desk is all about giving the best possible welcome to everyone who arrives at our Festival Zone in Heart of Hawick.
• Event Steward: helping to prepare and usher events, clearing halls and venues/de-rigging events, guiding people into performance venues.
• Venue Preparation/DIY/Signage: we are hosting 10 moving-image installations in venues around Hawick. You’ll be working alongside an international selection of artists and members of the Alchemy team to make this happen. Includes tasks like painting, cleaning, building, venue dressing and other essentials.
• AV Technician: if you have training and/or experience of AV tech, you could help us install artists’ works or with the production of expanded cinema events, making a vital contribution to a core element of our programme.