Volunteer with Alchemy Film & Arts
We have volunteering opportunities all year round, including the chance to be part of delivering our Exhibition Programme and Film and Moving Image Festival! We’re also looking for Hawick residents to host filmmakers this year: register your interest here.
Volunteer at Alchemy Film & Moving Image Festival (next edition 2 – 6 May 2019)!
Become a Festival Volunteer! The Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival in Hawick, Scottish Borders, offers great opportunities to contribute to Hawick’s local community.
To register to volunteer at the 2019 festival, please complete the form here.
Come along to our Volunteer Meeting and Festival Programme Launch on 3 April 2019 to meet the team and learn more:
Volunteer Meeting: 5.30pm
Festival Programme Launch: 6.30pm
Yeomans, 53 High Street, Hawick TD9 9BP
By volunteering, you become an active part in the operation of this Hawick event with a strong global appeal. Because we cannot present the Festival without the hard work and absolute dedication of our volunteers, in return, we offer:
• The opportunity to contribute to Hawick’s cultural community, meet new people and have fun
• One ticket to a screening of your choice for each volunteer shift
• Discount on Alchemy T-shirts and bags
• Including your time with Alchemy on your CV
• A special Volunteer Appreciation event after the festival
Whatever your skills, they will be valued! Some of this year’s roles include:
• Invigilating moving-image installations: be the first point of contact for visitors to our installations, providing a warm welcome and information about the work in the programme.
• Hospitality/Guest Driver: these roles are all about giving our filmmakers and guests the warmest of welcomes to the festival. You could be picking up filmmakers from Edinburgh Airport or Carlisle / Galashiels train stations who’ve travelled from all over the world to come to Hawick.
• Welcome Desk in Festival Zone: the main source of information for visitors when they arrive in Hawick, staffing the Welcome Desk is all about giving the best possible welcome to everyone who walks through the doors at the Festival Zone in Heart of Hawick.
• Event steward: helping to prepare and usher events, clearing halls and venues/de-rigging events, guiding people into performance venues.
• Venue preparation/DIY and signage: we will host 10-12 moving-image installations in venues around Hawick. We have a variety of venues, including empty shops and museum. They all need support to install artists’ work. You’ll be working alongside an international selection of artists and members of the Alchemy team to make this happen. Includes tasks like painting, cleaning, building, venue dressing and other essentials.
• AV Technician for events and installation: if you have training and/or experience of AV tech, you could help us install artists’ works or with the production of expanded cinema events, making a vital contribution to the programme.