Alchemy Film & Moving Image Festival is looking for an enthusiastic and highly organised Hospitality Assistant for the 8th Edition of the Film Festival (May 2018). In this exciting and rewarding role, the successful candidate will assist with ensuring that all filmmakers and guests of the festival are given the same high standard of hospitality and a warm welcome in Hawick.
About Alchemy Film and Moving Image
Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival is an international festival of experimental film and artists’ moving image. Founded in 2010 there have been seven editions of the Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, produced in partnership with Heart of Hawick. The 2017 festival screened 139 films from 21 countries over five days, with 46 world premieres, 14 European premieres, 39 Scottish premieres and over eighty filmmakers in attendance. Alchemy Film & Arts also engages in developmental projects for experimental film and artists’ moving image production in Scotland, including artists’ filmmaking residencies, a year-round exhibitions programme, filmmaking symposia, touring programmes and community filmmaking initiatives. In 2017, Alchemy Film & Arts curated Scotland’s national exhibition at the Venice Art Biennale.
Next edition: 3-7 May 2018.
Hospitality Assistant – Freelance contract
Application deadline: Monday 5 February, 5pm
Interview dates: Monday 19 February
Fixed term contract: 26 March – 7 May (2/3 days a week)
Contract fee: £1400 (£70/day for 20 days, equivalent to approx. £18k pro rata)
Location, Hawick, Scottish Borders
- To extend the warmest of welcomes to every filmmaker and guest.
- Liaise with filmmakers and invited guests regarding travel bookings and inquiries.
- Collate accommodation requests, liaise with local providers and assist with bookings.
- Liaise with local caterers and hospitality providers regarding festival bookings, ensuring the best service for our guests.
- Manage guest lists and invitations.
- Collate info for guest welcome pack and festival passes.
- Coordinate the welcome desk during the festival.
- Represent the festival with an approachable and professional manner at all times.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Warm and approachable manner with brilliant interpersonal skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a team.
- Experience in a customer facing or similar role.
- Experience working for festivals or events.
- Interest in film and arts.
- Ability to work under pressure.
The role is offered on a freelance, self-employed basis and is based at our offices in Hawick, Scottish Borders.
The total contract fee is £1,400. This is offered on the basis of £70/day (around £18K annual pro rata) for 20 days, fixed term contract between 26 March – 7 May 2018.
You will be required to work flexibly on the project, initially 2/3 days per week with a more focussed period of activity in the run up to the festival. During the festival – including immediately before and after – you will be required to be available full-time for a 9 day period from Sun 29 April to Monday 7 May. This will include working outside of normal hours, and some evening events.
If you have any questions about the role, please email: email@example.com.
please send your CV alongside a cover letter describing your interest in the role and highlighting any relevant experience you have related to the responsibilities described above. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Alchemy Festival Hospitality Assistant”.
In the event of being offered an interview, we will require details of two references to be provided.