Jean-Jacques Martinod is an artist and filmmaker currently based in Guayaquil, Ecuador. His films have screened in festivals, museums, and other venues around the world, including FIDMarseille and The Museum of the Moving Image. Jean-Jacques is coming to Alchemy to participate in the European premiere of his film Grabados del Ojo Nocturno in our Nature Spirits programme. The film is a collage of collected imagery turned ritual travelogue: from the Sahara to the oceans of South America, passing through an old ancestors abode.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
2. What lies at the heart of your own desire to make films?
Fleeing. Going back forth back forth to center.
3. What are the first things you do in developing a film idea in response to a subject?
4. What’s your favourite film and why?
A Page of Madness by Teinosuke Kinugasa
5. Choose 1, 2 or 3 of your all-time favourite music tracks!
Delia Derbyshire – Falling
False memory syndrome
Beethoven – Symphony No. 9 op. 125 – Second Movement (Part 1 of 2) Period Instruments
8. What is your greatest extravagance?
i suppose i suppose.
9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
a pupil with no iris
10. What is your final word?